So Jane has finally made me start watching the West Wing. She bloody loves it but thats mainly because she bums over the US President and well wants to work at the White House. But I thought I’d humour the old girl, and have now watched the entire first season.
It’s really good. I mean, you can completely see why it was so well thought of at the time. Not sure I’m in love with it yet, but I can see myself doing it. Here are my thoughts in bullet pointed form:
- Martin Sheen is amazing. God knows how Charlie ended up the way he has.
- I think I may be in love with Allison Janney.
- It’s VERY talky. If you like action, or people walking without talking, this is not the programme for you.
- It’s slightly depressing that during season 1, they keep discussing getting rid of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell (Wikipedia it if you don’t know what it is). Eleven years later, in the real world, it’s still in place. Boo-urns, Barack. Boo-urns.
- All of the characters are brilliant and instantly likeable except Mandy. Shrill, irritating, gets in the way, always trying to make a point that sucks, she wasn’t even given the dignity of being written out. She was hated so much she just disappeared between seasons. She deserved nothing less.
- I actually want to work at the White House now. Looks like fun.
So anyway, it’s jolly good, and if you have time, try and find it online (or borrow the DVDs off Jane like I did).
*POTUS means President of the United States. Possibly the first thing that’s explained in the entire series.